There can be no question that the current coronavirus crisis has caused unprecedented hardship for the economy and that its impact has not been limited to medical issues. Closed stores, the shutdown of industrial production, and the abrupt drop to zero in tourism foreshadow the challenges ahead.
The federal and state governments are trying to mitigate the consequences. More detailed information on the subject can be found in the following sources:
- A juris dossier on the current legal situation
- Overview of the adopted measures: information from the Federal Ministry of Justice
- The drawing of short-time allowances has been made significantly easier. Details are available from the Federal Employment Agency.
- Current information on the relief programs (Federal Ministry of Finance)
- Questions and answers on the billion-euro protective shield for Germany (Federal Ministry of Finance)
- Impact of the coronavirus: information and support for companies (Federal Ministry of Economics)
- Act to Mitigate the Consequences of the COVID-19 Pandemic in Civil, Insolvency, and Criminal Procedure Law (Federal Department of Justice)
- Special Assessment 2020 of the German Council of Economic Experts for the assessment of overall economic development